A full history of Mildura Rowing Club has been documented and is available for purchase. The official history was only completed in 2008 following significant research by Leonie Murphy.
Below is a summary of some of the events in the Mildura Rowing Club's long and proud history.
Mildura Rowing Club was founded in 1909.
The first official meeting was held on August 23rd 1909 and the first Club President was Dr. Parker. The Club commenced it's fleet with 2 x fours, 2 pairs and one 'pleasure' boat. The first subscription was set at one pound.
With the outbreak of World War 1, 37 of the Club's 40 members enlisted for service. The Club went into recess for four years. One of those members who enlisted was killed, A.J. Robinson. The first Club boat was named after this member.
in 1918, the original boatshed was washed away in a flood, however, the fleet of boats was saved.
In 1925, the first Mildura Regatta was held. By the 1940's era, the Mildura Rowing Regatta was a major community event.
In 1939, with the advent of World War II, almost the total membership of the Club again enlisted. Six members remained to look after the club's assets and care for the fleet. The Club re-opened in 1944 with a popular resurgence of interest and activity.
Events in our Club History
Formed August 23, 1909
1st President - Dr. Parker
In 1914, 37 of the Club's 40 members enlisted for service in World War 1.
1918 - Flood washed original boathouse away
1923 - Club 'resuscitated' following lapse.
1925 - First Mildura 'Henley on the Murray' Regatta held on Easter Monday.
- 2015 to Current - Nigel Sullivan
- 2013 to 2014 - David Talbot
- 2010 to 2012 - David Carson
- 2009 to 2010 - Terry Hill
- 2008 to 2009 - Rob Ellis
- 2007 to 2008 - Warren Lloyd
- 2005 to 2007 - Cynthia Toose
- 2004 to 2005 - Paul Hodgson
- 2001 to 2004 - David Talbot
- 1999 to 2001 - Terry Hill
- 1996 to 1999 - Bernie Currow
- 1995 to 1996 - David McKendrick
- 1994 to 1995 - Barry Kilpatrick
- 1992 to 1994 - Joe Watson
- 1980 to 1982 - Barry Kilpatrick
- 1978 to 1980 - David Tankard
- 1974 to 1978 - Barry Kilpatrick
- 1971 to 1974 - Keith Gilbert
- 1968 to 1971 - Don MacKay
- 1966 to 1968 - Geoff Talbot
- 1965 to 1966 - Clem Sauer
- 1963 to 1965 - John Suffren
- 1951 to 1963 - Bert Mills
- 1949 to 1951 - W Mills
- 1947 to 1949 - Syn Nash
- 1935 to 1947 - C H Harrison
- 1930 to 1935 - V W Adair
- 1927 to 1930 - Dr MacMillan
- 1923 to 1927 Dr W H Godby